Tuesday, December 25, 2012

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JESUS!...

"For unto is born this day in the city of David, a savior which is Christ the Lord"  Luke 2:11

Last week, we got to stop by a local church that holds a living nativity each year (this was their 57th!).  We've done this the past couple of years of now.  It was really cold this particular night, but it made the experience all that more real.  I don't imagine that it was close to freezing temps when Christ was born...but it could have been cold and I'm sure that the barn was pretty darn dark and most definitely not sanitary.  Have you ever wondered if Mary was scared?  I mean, did she feel labor pains?  Did Joseph know what to do or was he just there and did the best he could?  Did Jesus pink right up after he was born?  Did he cry?  The bible doesn't document these things, so we just don't know.  I've known since a little girl that Jesus was born in a stable, that there were animals around and there was no room in the inn.  Shepards and wise men came to visit and baby Jesus must have been okay...because the story goes on.  But after giving birth to two babies, I have a entirely new perspective.  It was dark, it was dirty, they were alone and even though they knew that this birth was supernatural...that it was God-sent, God himself. I bet they were scared. Scared by the experience that they were going to go through that night and overwhelmed by the experience of raising this baby a savior.  Just something I was reflecting on tonight...

In a job interview several years back, I was asked (what I thought was) a very interested question. If I could sit down with any three people (living or dead) who would it be?  Two of my answers would be the same today:  Jesus and my great-grandparents (I was hoping I could get a two-for-one there :0)...but the third I would change.  Last time around I mentioned a president but no, now I would have to say Mary. I would really like a chance to sit down and talk with Mary.  To hear the first-hand story of the birth of Christ.  To hear about her time with the son of God.  I'm guessing that would be one pretty great cup of coffee :0)

Happy Birthday Jesus!

Cold but awesome!

Brandon had to stay in the car (much too cold outside)
 but...he didn't seem to mind :0)