Thursday, August 9, 2012

GREEN THUMB...

I'm not much of a gardener.  Each year, I plant a few flowers by the mailbox, the front door and in a pot or two in the back yard.  Then I pray that I don't kill them.  Sometimes I have success that is measured in a few months, most of the time the "success" is measured in a couple of weeks :)

Last Spring, Bailey's preschool class learned about how flowers/plants grow from seeds.  So of course she wanted to take what she had learned, and apply it at home (which is usually fine but one week they were learning about recycling and Boo wanted to keep every piece of trash to "reuse".  Yeah...thanks for that one Ms. Mandy :o).

On a Saturday around the beginning to middle of June, we were in Walmart and Bailey found a packet of seeds for sunflowers.  She was so excited that I could not pass up the opportunity (to fail I was pretty sure because I mean really...if I so easily kill plants that I purchase thriving and with blooms, how in the world was I going to grow something from a seed?).  We brought the seeds home and immediately planted them in a pot on our front porch where there is lots of sun.  Boo was great; she would remember to check on and water her flowers almost daily.  They actually sprouted very quickly, which thrilled both of us, but took several weeks to bloom which in the end was okay because..... we have success!!  This week we got our first bloom and Bailey was super excited.  After making sure that Daddy knew about her flower, she immediately wanted to go and grab the neighbor down the street to show him the "fruit" of her labor :o)  Way to go Boo!  Here's hoping that your thumb, is much greener than mine :o)