Thursday, April 19, 2012

RAISING A MAN...

I was putting Brandon to sleep a few weeks back with the routine that we've fallen into: bottle, followed by a bath at least 30 minutes later (because he spits up), and then pj's and bed.  His room is dark, the purifier (which also works for white noise) is on and I stand by his crib and rock him to sleep.  It's such a sweet time.  I use the rocker in his room from time to time during the day, but at night (maybe it's because I'm afraid that I won't be able to get up from the rocker :), I stand and hold him...rocking him as I stand.  I know that I should probably try putting him down before he falls asleep, but I also know that soon (much faster than I want) he will be too big and too heavy for me to hold and rock so...for now, I hold him and rock him to sleep.

While I'm rocking him, I take the opportunity to praise God for both our little miracles.  I thank Him for them and then I ask for His blessing over their lives.  I ask for specifics regarding their futures and then I pray for their spouses.  Something I know that my mother did, for the three of us, from very early on.  A prayer that I am very thankful for.  A walk with Christ that I am grateful to my mother for...one which I plan to pass along to my children so that when they rock their babies to sleep, they pray over not only them...but for their spouses as well.

On this night, a few weeks back, I was suddenly struck by the realization that...I was raising a man.  Funny how hard this hit me that particular night. We are raising a man. Maybe it's because I am a woman and I know just how important a good man is but, on that night, that realization burned deep into my soul.  A man.  I am raising a man.  This little guy, who turned 5 months old today, the baby who loves to grab at his toes and stick out his tongue while he licks his lips, the baby who gives me open mouth kisses, who looks for his sister when I ask him "where's sissy?" and the baby whose just discovered that those things on his hands?  Yeah, they're fingers :)  Cracks me up even as I'm typing this, he will stare at his fingers like they are the most amazing things anyone has every seen.  He holds his hand up and opens it wide (which he really just figured out how to do in these last few weeks, up until that point they were always in a fist) and he'll take one hand and gently  hold and study a finger on the other hand.  It really it something so sweet to watch.  This little baby will one day be a man.  A man who will love a woman, a man who will raise a family and a man who (I pray) will impact others for Christ.  A man.... we are raising a man.



Two new "tricks"....grabbing his toes and
licking his lips :)