Monday, December 27, 2010

WEEKEND PROJECT...

I had a couple of extra days off and what does that mean...projects! We knocked one out of the way this weekend, putting up bookshelves (aka: gutters) in Bailey's room. I'm sure when Boo is grown, there will be a list of things that I did wrong, but I am hopeful that one thing she'll consider good, is a passion for reading. To be honest, this is a passion that I would like to instill in myself but hey...isn't our goal to help make our children better than ourselves? :)

Boo has a ton of books, so many so that it was getting difficult for her to find/read the ones she wanted. A traditional bookcase is a little tough for a 3 year old (she just ended up pulling all the books onto the floor in a huge pile that Mommy would then have to "help" clean up). I started researching sling bookshelves but could only find small ones to purchase (they might hold 20 to 30 books and the cost ran $50 - $100). After some research, I came across a gentleman who had used gutters as bookshelves. With about $35 in supplies (including a hacksaw blade and drywall screws) Tom and I were able to install 3 shelves that currently holds almost 80 books...and there's still a little room left! The best part is, Bailey loves it! We finished the project, she walked into her room and immediately said, "oh...there's the book I was looking for" (as she picked up the book pictured below). Got to love it when a plan comes together!

To finish off the look, we added a few cute stickers to her wall...it's really starting to look like a big girls room now.



No comments:

Post a Comment